Skip to main content

Hope's Journey - Eat, Sleep & Exercise

Chapter 2 - Eat, Sleep & Exercise

One of the first things I tackled when cleaning up my act and getting my life sorted out with God was to sort out my physical body. I was after all pregnant and I wanted this precious one inside of me to have a perfect life, totally opposite to mine thus far. I would do anything and everything to ensure that this little life inside of me was pure. It was as if I was having a new start through her. Everything I did wrong in life I could make right by making her life lovely, wonderful, peaceful and pure. This was the mind of a pregnant seventeen year old that had just been given a fresh start in life. In many ways even though it wasn’t the truth of how it all worked it did help me change the way I saw life. The first step back then was for me to eat well and exercise, and that is the first step now too.

Time passed, my precious baby girl Lorah was born. Life continued, along with all its ups and downs, and although I really tried my best I was still far from free from all the things that were robbing me of a great life.

Endorphins

A little later on in life I had a small conviction that I should go to the gym and get physically fit. Coupled with that was the fact that my friend had a free weeks guest pass at a gym so I thought I would give it a try. I had never been to a gym before but had enjoyed running and swimming in my early teens before everything went pear shaped, so I thought I would give it a try. It was a bit daunting walking into the gym and having everyone ‘watch’ me exercise but once I got settled I absolutely LOVED it, I have enjoyed going to the gym ever since!

Exercise produces endorphins! Endorphins are happy hormones and you can never have too many of these, especially if you are prone to depression. In some cases it is possible to exercise your way out of depression. For those of you who are more scientific endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food and orgasm and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being. Endorphins also work as "natural pain relievers”.
The term "endorphin" implies a pharmacological activity as opposed to a specific chemical formulation. It consists of two parts: endo- and -orphin; these are short forms of the words endogenous and morphine, intended to mean "a morphine-like substance originating from within the body”.

Now back to plain English, we need these amazing things called endorphins to help us get out of depression and at the time I was wrestling with my first real case of depression. I had no idea that this was why I was crying all the time and was feeling so very down but thankfully I had a very good circle of friends who noticed this and suggested that I may be depressed. 

Psychology and Anti-depressants

My symptoms were a total lack of passion for life even though I was living what seemed like a great life. Tiredness, mood swings, constant crying, lack of energy and negativity ruled my life for no apparent reason. I had a great job, great family, great friends, no real obvious struggles and no reason that I could pin point that could explain my depression. Thank fully one of my close friend’s husband was a psychologist and he offered to see me. If it weren’t for his kind offer I would never in a million years even thought of seeing a psychologist. It was a bit daunting at first but I quickly relaxed and got used to how it all worked. It wasn’t at all how I thought it would be, there was no lying down on a couch and no chanting or freaking out. We simply had hour long conversation where at first he listened mostly and in later sessions he offered some suggestions. He did an amazing job of helping me see my life differently by showing me what I was really struggling with by getting me to describe metaphorically what I was feeling. I found myself painting this elaborate picture with words about how I felt like I was in a cage in the middle of beautiful green pastures. It was as if I could see the beauty of life but I couldn’t have it for myself, I was trapped and stuck in this cage. He helped me understand some of the things I was facing, and mentioned the possibility of using anti-depressants as a means of getting better.
Having gained a new perspective of what my problem was and because I managed to get a lot off my chest, I decided to first try a few things on my own before going down the medication route. There is no shame in taking the medication route at all but I wanted to first try other things. I asked God for keys to help me beat depression and one of the first things I felt to do was sort out my eating habits and exercising routine. Gym was the first step and the next step was to write down what I ate and drank.

Smiley Faces

Every day I marked on the calendar when I was felt low or when I felt OK. Smiley faces and sad face were drawn all over my calendar along with all sorts of little notes and details about what I ate each day. It was very interesting to see that what I ate did affect me. The exact details of what I ate have slipped my mind as it was a long time ago but I do find that too much sugar affects me a lot and caffeine. My best weeks are when I eat lots of fruit and vegetables along with "pure" food so I try to avoid food that has anything artificial in it.If you bump into me in the supermarket you are likely to find me reading the ingredient list of something I am considering buying. My number one red alert ingredient that I check for is hydrogenated vegetable oil. This is not negotiable for me AT ALL. Hydrogenated vegetable oil has no nutritional benefits at all and only exists to extend the shelf life of food, which in a nutshell is to line the pockets of the business owners. The harm it does is horrendous though, why not Google it and see all the harmful side affects that this nasty ingredient has.

Aspartame is another ingredient that I don’t negotiate with, again the side effects are horrible and if I have to have some form of sweetness, sugar seems to be the lesser of two evils. Honey however is a great sweetener for just about anything so I try my best to stick to using that rather than sugar or artificial sweeteners. As far as my budgets allows I do like to stick to organic food with lots of fruit, vegetables and pro-biotic yogurt. Most important of all is lots of water! My children will tell you how much I swear by water. The come to me with all sorts of ailments and the first thing I usually say is;

“How much water have you had today?”

Nine times out of ten it is none or very little so I get them to drink some water and come back to me later if the problem persists. Water, of course, can’t solve depression but it is definitely part of the whole healthy living package that can help you lead a depression free life.

One of my favourite books on this subject is The Makers Diet by Jordan Reuben. He writes of a fascinating journey that God took him on when he was on his death bed with an incurable disease. Not only is his testimony really powerful but his study of healthy living is fantastic and makes perfect sense! One example is the reason why God told the Jews not to eat pork...

I will stop here but chapter 2 does continue, for full details about this book please go here.

Comments

  1. Anonymous27.9.10

    Couldn’t agree more with you about HV oil and Aspartame. Aspartame is a pure chemical that builds up in the body to give those nasty symptons and it take weeks or months to clear the body. It’s banned in the USA but not here. It also opens up ALL the taste buds on the tongue (which food does not) at the same time which helps one to become addicted to what is eaten or drunk..

    It’s time everyone took time to read the ingredients of everything they buy in a supermarket. It’s in a lot of yoghurt and practically all squash drinks. Better sugar than Aspartame. Wean one’s dependency on sugar a half tea spoon at a time over several weeks is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting reading (for someone who virtually never reads the labels) - I shall definitely be scrutinizing the ingredient lists from now on, you assume that there are standards in place to ensure we don't eat harmful substances but clearly not! Sadly its all about the profits now, thanks for some eye opening reading and I'll be getting The Makers Diet, I have heard its a brilliant book indeed. With processed foods all around us these days, its time to get back to basics and look after our bodies, after all your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor), so we really should think twice about what we put into it. Thanks for great advice Angela, I'm overhauling my families diet from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7.10.10

    Yes sadly it's all about making money these days, even though most food is harming us. I highly recomment The Maker's Diet - it really makes sense. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo