Skip to main content

Enjoying the Journey

Jordan sent me an article this past week about little ones watching TV. It's very interesting & got me thinking about my family life. Lately I have been finding life... well a bit "noisy" & stressful. Finding the balance is becoming challenging as Daniel & Amy are growing & getting more noisy & needy! Some days I get quite desperate for a quiet moment, even now as I type I am faced with several interruptions! I did write about getting my priorities in order a while ago & continue to be committed to getting it right. Most importantly though, I really want to enjoy the journey & not wish my life away. I can easily wish whole days away just to get to the part of my day when the little ones are in bed & the house is quiet! This brings me back to the article Jordan sent me. I found it very interesting that TV & movies actually discourage us to enjoy the journey. If you think about it most movies cover the entire journey all the way to the happy ending in 1 1/2 hours! Movies cut out the sometimes ordinary and mundane details of our life - they cut out the journey. Everything about our life these days is fast paced with instant messaging, microwave food, etc. I love technology & all the benefits, I also love movies so have nothing against these things. What I am wrestling with is the life that we can easily lose if we don't monitor how we allow these things to affect us.

On Saturday Eric & I took our little ones to the library. We just sat in the play area, read stories & hung out. Nothing spectacular but it was really nice & made our family day really special. It was one of the many simple things that we do that would never be exciting enough to make a movie about, but it is part of our journey. The impression that TV & movies give us about life is not real which can often leave us feeling dissatisfied with thoughts that our life is boring or inferior to the life that movies portray. I challenge you to join me in making special memories out of the seemingly ordinary moments of our every day life. I intend to find the fun amidst the noise, I plan to enjoy the demands of the children rather than wish the day away! There are so many creative ways to make life fun. For example I like to practice my singing while I wash the dishes. I allow Daniel to help me cook whenever I can just so we can have fun together - even though it makes more mess it is so worth the memories we are making. Do you have any ideas of what we can do to make something special out of life's ordinary moments?

Comments

  1. For christmas Elisha had a rock guitar and opened it at my fathers house with my aunties, uncles nanny - well the whole family really and the guitar was so loud ( the annoying ones u cant wait to take the batteries out of.....)but he loved it and performed to us all. My auntie made a comment saying "they are only this age once" whilst she clapped and danced with him.
    I thought about it and thought yes! he is only this age once and boy i want to enjoy it every second.
    So when he gets his guitar out and presses 'the button' i smile and encourage him. He actually said "come on mummy, lets jump" how cute!!!!
    Sam loves to dance and he can express himself clearly when dancing and sometimes we put some music on for him and watch him dance and sing.
    Josh often asks me to play on the ps2 with him and just for him to have me race against him or for him to show me his suped up cars that he is so proud of :) Its so important to him, and to me! I sometimes do the football thing but usually thats matts forte....hee hee
    I bake with them all or they like to help do dinner too thats always fun. Walks to the shops which gives us a chance to talk. Movie nights where we watch something fun and have sweeties but snuggle in the duvets.
    I guess what i am trying to say is, i want to create and absorb memories. To enjoy each moment with each of my children.

    Ideas.......create a collage with them of all fun family things you have done - get them to draw and colour pictures of things they have enjoyed doing with you and do a collage or a special album with their pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous27.1.10

    Such a great post Angela! I agree, the simple family times are most often the ones we remember!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo